The Rex is the largest member of the Disorient Express, Disorient's Mutant Vehicles. The base of the Rex is an articulated M.A.N. bus. The Rex is registered as a mutant vehicle with the BM DMV and will be premiered at Burning Man 2007.
General Rex Information
Name: Disorient Rex
The Garden of Lights.
The Rex will carry several letters of the Disorient Sign on one side and will have speakers mounted on the other side. The front vehicle will be a lounge and the back will be for the DJ and the amp racks. The outside will be peppered with hundreds of LED fixtures sequenced by Leo creating a bright and colorful 60 ft. long moving object at night. The top will have a strong roof rack which will become the main anchor point for roof and sides installations.
Outside art by Archer (Playa photo courtesy of Junko).
Roof sculpture proposal by AKAirways
Disorient Sign on one side
add your idea here
Inspirations: Large BM Art Cars
Rex Task List (Jul-Aug 2007)
- Build roof rack metal structure and some wood structure to hold sculptures (cell leader: Matt) (12%)
- Carve speaker holes out of the side of the Rex (cell leader: Matt) (8%)
- Remove A/C engine (80%)
- Cover roof rack with plywood (cell leader: Matt) (50%)
- Build DJ booth including floating DJ table and amps cooling system (cell leader: Lowroad--Worker Slave: ArrowChrome) (20%)
- Cover inside with mylar (cell leader: Big Dawg) (1%)
- Create net storage on the ceiling (like DEX) (cell leader: Big Dawg) (0%)
- Paint outside (cell leader: Archer) (40%)
- Fabricate and install Sign Mounts (cell leader: Matt) (2%)
- Open front side for lounge, make doors (cell leader: Matt) (50%)
- Opening in front of DJ (cell leader: Matt) (50%)
- Create storage space (on the ceiling?) for spare windows (cell leader: Lowroad) (0%)
- Create the lounge (0%)
- Install carpet in the lounge (cell leader: FT )(0%) Q: in NY or on playa? - probably want some for trip
- Install lockers (0%)
- Replace thermostat (0%)
- Check cylinder compression (0%)
- Check battery-charge problem. possibly replace batteries. (0%)
- Get spare tire (0%)
- Fix lights (0%)
- Pick-up from Virginia (cell leader: Rumble) (100%)
- Test at Geo's (cell leader: Rumble) (90%)
Cross-Country Trip (Aug 11-25th)
Friar Tuck, Jester Jaimi, KY, Niki Hermes, Thunderstick?
- The Rex leaves New York City around Wednesday August 15th to arrive on the Playa on Saturday August 25th after 12:01 am. (Rex crewmates have been included on Disorient's weekend arrival list -- request for passes submitted to Burning Man on July 19.)
Friar Tuck, Jaimi, others?
- Crew Food
- Emergency Repairs
- RV Roadside repair coverage
- Rex will carry only essential items for Playa operation, including D7 lounge materials: carpets, futons, pillows, fabrics.
- Rex will carry only personal items of the Rex Driving Crew. No other personal items will be allowed on Rex.
- Rex will not be transporting the new Disorient Sound System
Rex Cross-Country Route
- Determine Route and Sites (Jester Jaimi, FT)
- Phil (Andy Wing)
- Pitt (Kip Reese)
- Susque. (Niki Adams)
- Toledo (Randy Ruge)
Indiana (April/Poosie Kat)
- Chicago (Suga Pie, Groot)
- Boxarox (email@example.com)
(Colo: Mark Burrows, Ronnie Nelson, BRad) + Dubz
Utah (Queen Mab and The Dave 23)
- Taylor - Amy's parents Nev
- Reno (Rick Brown)
- Spare Parts/Service Sations (Jester Jaimi via Cory)
Rex transformation Jul-Aug 2007
Wish List (things we need at the Rex)
(20) Milk crates (for organizing stuff on the Rex)
(2) bicycles in good condition to become Rex "tender to's"
(2) boxes of contractor-grade trash bags
(3) large tarps
(20) Pornj queen-size pillow covers with pillows
Workers prepared to work with: work gloves earplugs protective eyewear/light sunglasses sunscreen drinking water kneepads
Wed August 8
Monday August 6
Sunday August 5
Teagan builds platform for front vehicle. Matt welds roof rack and side frame (speaker). Rumble and FriarTuck at drilling station. Arrow works on the DJ table. Nick cuts metal.
Tuesday July 31
Another coat of paint was applied to the bottom orange section (Archer).
Monday July 30
Racks were built (Matt) and delivered on site (Jan, Matt). The night shift lightly sanded the whole bus (MsHotTamale, Archer, Jester Jaimie, Flynn).
Saturday July 28
Wednesday July 25
Sunday July 22
Saturday July 21
wow! great day... a/c roof units are removed (Big Dawg, Jan and FriarTuck), sanding has been done (Archer, MsHotTamale, HotSauce, E.J.) , paint has been applied (Hot Sauce), the inside is almost completely gutted (Thunderstick), and a shade structure has been set up for a comfortable oasis in the Navy Yard...
Big thanks to all the hands on the Rex today!!!!
POWER POWER POWER... we need another generator desperately, 3500 Watts or more...
we also could us a couple ladders (4ft. and 8ft.)
and if anyone has access to an engine hoist or cherry picker... let me know and i can come and pick it up.
ToMoRroWs anOthEr DaY At iT, SeE YOu ThErE!!!
Big up to Dough for finding a way to remove the freon from the A/C system and being at the Rex at 7AM (with Matt) to meet with the freon removers. Without this, today would not have been so productive. Thank you Dave for the guidance.
The Navy Yard has striking similarities with the desert.
1. We're pretty much by ourselves there.
2. You can see a lot of sky.
3. There is no easy access to food and water.
4. You're in the sun all day.
Keep this in mind when you go there...
July 19, 2007
Dough, Matt and Eye met at the Rex.
Matt's new crazy speaker placement scheme "inside the bus" is super slick.
DJ booth is now extending outside. Supastar style...
and the roof rack will host a couple of private lounges inside the Garden of Lights...
Went really well.
Turnout: Eye, Hotsauce, Biddog, Garrison and Ray,
their vinyl guy who's name I cant remember, Archer,
Matt the welder and Dave his buddy welder,
JesterJaimie, Udi, and Sam-a guy who works at at big
metal shop in NJ. Doh came out later to drop off the
Painters seem to have made a paint plan and some
materials estimates which archer will post to the
puddle later. Udi and Eye worked out speaker
placement. Matt and Dave have two plans for the roof
deck/speaker mounts- one failsafe, one alternate idea
that sam is making a sample bracket for today. Matt
and Sam will meet at the bus late in the afternoon and
Matt is picking up the bus manual at the bus today.
Udi Eye and I worked out an Amp rack plan/cooling
cabinet. Hotsauce is trying to secure nearby
electricity and water supply, bathroom usage.
Many good plans laid last night, but the big trick now
is getting others on board to commit to sticking with
projects and seeing them through to the end. It is a
task that takes constant puddle care. There is a
sizable work load ahead.
Navy Yard is in many ways a dream location- remote
enough for what we are doing but not terribly hard to
get to- security seems better than we could have
wished, the view can't be beat! Food is perhaps the
only missing link. It is hard to schedule an all day
work call without a way for everyone to easily step
out for food- need to explore delivery options, etc.
This was a bigger issue than we might have expected
during Dex workcalls...
July 12, 2007 Staging
May 16 2007 Rex in NJ
The bus, soon to be named Rex, is driven from Denver to New Jersey by Ben Sparks sparkyrobot-at-gmail-dot-com.
The night after his return he handed me (Lowroad) a list of 11 items that he suspects will need attention. I have included it here in its entirety:
1) COOLING SYSTEM AND RADIATOR NEEDS FIXED. He said
that he "removed the valves from the thermostat" and
explained that the valves are somehow involved in
telling the radiator when to turn on and off. By
removing the valves he was able to keep the engine
cooling system running constantly with out risk of the
thermostat shutting it off. What exactly Ben did to
the engine should be looked at... and a better
solution should be found
2) MIRROR ON PASSENGER SIDE IS MISSING. We found this mirror during clean up of the bus on tuesday. a bracket must be built for it.
3) SEAT FOR DRIVER. apparently the seat is very uncomfortable for long drives.
4) NOTE: ON THE PANEL BEHIND THE DRIVER IS A BATTERY ON/OFF SWITCH
5) THE BUS GETS ABOUT 6 MPG. TANK IS 150 GALLONS
6) BUS SHOULD CARRY AT LEAST ONE SPARE TIRE AT ALL TIMES
7) WINDSHIELD WIPERS DO NOT WORK
8) THE BUS USED 1 and 1/2 GALLONS of OIL ON THE TRIP FROM DENVER
9) THERE IS A RETARD SWITCH FOR ADDED DOWNHILL BREAKING- THIS SWITCH NEEDS FIXED
10) RIGHT SIDE BLINKERS DO NOT WORK
11) BRAKE LIGHTS MAY NOT WORK PROPERLY!
Geo purchases an articulated bus from Denver, CO.