by the Art Car Wash Cell
Cell leader: Tejawe
Facebook group: Art Car Wash
The Art Car Wash is a sexy daytime disco and interactive zone for art cars, art car drivers, and anyone who enjoys getting their bumpers buffed. All mutant vehicles (and non-vehicles...) are invited to chill out at the Art Car Wash and get buffed, blown, and waxed to the sounds of groovalicious daytime DJ sets. Interactive docking stations allow all playa participants to join in the fun. Now with more misters, hand mitts, bubbles and other buffy fuzzy things! So head on over, and roll on in...
Art Car Wash 2010 components:
- Scaffold 1 (60ft. x 8ft. x 17ft.), 12/12 ft. and 14/17 ft. ladders, platforms at 2 and 10 ft. high
- Art Car Wash Sign (front of Scaffold 1)
- DJ booth (Center of Scaffold 1, under letter A of WASH)
- Sound system (Scaffold 1, not represented in ACW v.20100401 drawings)
- Cargo Net Sign (vertical yellow lines with white pixels in the back of Scaffold 1, facing the Man)
Space between Scaffold 1 and Scaffold 2 is 20 ft.
- Scaffold 2 (60ft. x 8ft. x 7ft.), 7/7 ft. ladders, 2 ft high platform.
- Connecting Pods (4 red cylinders on drawing) where art cars reinforce the ACW sound system by connecting their amps to ACW's DJ mixer through XLR. Each Pod has clear instructions on how to connect and are an opportunity to provide other "services" such as inside cleaning, vaccuming, etc. The Dex is connected to Pod 1 in ACW v.20100702.
- Container, used as green room
- Drop on Container, with Disorient scrolling Sign on top and lit by Muvment's club lights installed in the back of Scaffold 1.
- added DJ table + speakers 3'x 3'x 4' each (discussed with Tejawe and the Bass);
- elevated 2nd floor platform to accommodate speakers;
- changed configuration of front scaffolding into 3 docking stations (discussed with Lowroad and Devyn);
- added Drop lights (9 white lights sequenced, no intellibeam) top/back of main scaffolding (discussed with Leo and AK);
- moved new Leo sign directly in front of new ACW sign--vertical bars in front of main scaffold (discussed with Leo). This new sign is a 32x8 resolution 8-bit screen made of 32 modules, each module hosting 8 pixels, each pixel made of 4 super bright orange LEDs;
- added new ACW sign, wood painted fluorescent/hot pink, no light (discussed with Leo);
- added new DISORIENT sign, wood painted fluorescent/hot orange, no light (discussed with Leo);
- reconfigured 2009 ACW sign in back of main scaffold and on docking stations (discussed with Leo);
- added crowd.
- file: Disorient_acw20100702.skp
<add requests here>
- place second container
- dimensions of individual module/lights for new Leo sign
- vehicles going through the ACW
- increase dancefloor/lane width to ?
photograph by Steph Goralnick
The Art Car Wash is an interactive zone for art cars, art car drivers, and anyone who wants to buff their bumpers. All art cars on the playa will be invited to drive through the "wash" where other playa participants will be waiting to greet them, mock "wash" their cars, and groove to the sound of daytime disco.
The Art Car Wash consists of two rows of platforms, creating a lane which art car drivers can pass through, and filled with spinning fuzzy playa versions of the washers and wipers found in a typical car wash. Of course they are not actually washing cars, but participants are welcome to bring spray bottles to mist the passengers.
After passing through the wash, drivers can park and join the fun as the music plays throughout the day. Disorient gets the wash started every day, but all other playa participants are invited to play a role with towels, misters, or just themselves.
3D model of Art Car Wash Sign and Rack as of July 24, 2009 ACW_Sign_Rack.skp
inclusion in the JRS
Calling all Art Cars (and Art Car Lovers)!
Disorient Presents: The Art Car Wash
The Art Car Wash is a sexy daytime disco and interactive zone for art cars, art car drivers, and anyone who enjoys getting their bumpers buffed.
Disorient invites all mutant vehicles to visit the Art Car Wash, where playa participants will be waiting to greet them, mock "wash" their cars, and groove to daytime DJ sets. Drive through the unique Evolvatron car wash lane, where spinning fuzzy playa versions of the washers and wipers found in a typical automated car wash will "wash" your vehicle. Sexy playa Car Washers will be ‘buffing’, ‘sudsing’, ‘rinsing’ and ‘waxing’ the car to maximum sexiness After passing through the wash, park your mutant vehicle and join in on the fun! The Art Car Wash will be operated daily by Disorient, but we invite all playa participants to visit Disorient throughout the week and lend a hand with towels, misters, buffy fuzzy things or just yourselves.... Hot wax job, anyone?